Please Support Wellspring and the Ride!

Please Support the Ride: Click HERE

Monday, September 28, 2015

Day 1 - A most inspiring first day of the Wellspring Ride 2015

Hi All!

Sorry for the delay in blogging about the ride this year.  My riding and shift schedule meant there was even less downtime than normal for me!  I'm going to send this update from day one out....then try to get a few hours of sleep before getting up at 4am for our next ride shift.

The launch morning was bigger and more inspiring than ever. We had both our Peloton riders, as well as the 1 day event riders on hand....and many, many supporters out to cheer us on.  Overall, it's great to see how this event has continued to grow...and to see more and more people involved and become a part of such an important cause.  Without this support, Wellspring would not be able to help so many people battling cancer.

Here's my team this year - with Will, Eric, and Sandy.  Eric was on my team last year. Will was our cancer warrior last year (you may have seen him on Canada Am with me!). and Sandy is riding in honour of his Mom, who was the founder of Wellspring!  Go Team 5! Woohoo!



Although this is my 5th year cycling for Wellspring and cancer support...my launch day was completely different and unique. I was looking to fulfill my commitment to do a double shift as a result of everyone helping to get me to more that $15,000 in fundraising by this time. Thank you again!


The double shift turned out to be a unique opportunity to ride with 4 of the 5 teams involved with this event. It was a fantastic experience, and the weather (aside from the constant wind for a few of the shifts) was almost perfect.  My total distance covered was just over 240kms between 9am and midnight.

Here's the route that I covered on my bike in 2 segments on the first day - Canada and USA:





Some photos from the day...

At the first rest stop when I was riding with Team 1 - along with some fantastic volunteers out to provide water to the riders:

Shift 1 completed....with Team 1:

Selfie photo with Team 3 as we rode our bikes across the Peace bridge!

This is me as I decided to take a break after 160kms....needed to save some energy to ride with my Team at 9pm that evening....
Needed a wider lens....however, this is almost the whole group of riders and volunteers heading to New Orleans:

Okay ---- the wifi is really bad at the hotel I'm at currently....so will need to wait to post Day 2...!

-billy

No comments:

Post a Comment